NatureWorks LLC is the first commercial scale manufacturer and supplier of polylactide biopolymer in the world bioplastic is commercially marketed under the Ingeo™ brand name.
- Previously wholly owned by Cargill Inc, in November 2007 the company became a 50/50 joint venture between Cargill Inc., and Teijin Ltd.
- NatureWorks LLC was created to lead the commercial market adoption of plastics and fiber made from 100% annually renewable resources.
- It is the owner of the patented technologies that produce Ingeo™ biopolymer on an industrial scale, with a world scale facility in Nebraska, USA, capable of producing a name-plate capacity of 140.000 metric tons per annum for use in plastics and fiber production.
Biopolymer: Renewable Plant Resource
The company's Ingeo™ biopolymer is derived from an abundant 100% annually renewable plant resource.
- The resin is derived from these plants where first carbon is captured from the atmosphere during photosynthesis and stored in the starch found in the grain of the plant.
- This starch is then converted into natural sugars.
- Through a process of fermentation, separation and polymerisation, the carbon and other elements in these natural sugars are transformed to make Ingeo™ biopolymer.
Ingeo™ biopolymer is a significant step towards a better future.
- Replacing petroleum with an annually renewable resource for the production of plastic resin reduces fossil fuel dependency.
- Ingeo ™ biopolymer is the world’s first polymer showing a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
- By replacing petroleum with a renewable plant-based feedstock, NatureWorks LLC uses up to 67 percent less fossil fuels to produce than traditional polymers.
Ingeo ™ biopolymer is used uniquely to create a full and diverse range of finished consumer lifestyle goods.
Bridging both plastics and fiber categories, Ingeo™ is fueling innovation and spearheading a whole raft of creativity across a wide range of products from clothing to homewares, personal care products as well as natural plastic food packaging, appliances, auto parts, electricals and durable goods.
INGEO Innovations Include
- Natural plastics for new food eco-packaging in both rigid and flexible film formats
- Water and juice bottles
- Disposable foodservice ware
- Protective and display packaging
- Gift cards, security cards, display signage
- Casings for personal care and cosmetics
- Casings and moldings for electronics, durable appliances and automotive parts
- Fiber and textile products for apparel. Contemporary sport, essentials and fashion
- Fiber and textile products for the home. Draperies, furnishing, fiberfill, carpets and mattresses
- Fiber and textile products for the garden: weedblock, land conservation, seeded mulches
- Nonwoven based products for baby care, diapers, wipes and personal hygiene
The NatureWorks LLC Business
NatureWorks LLC is successfully moving its products into the global marketplace showing:
- A triple digit growth for each of the last three years
- A truly global business with activity being split almost equally across North America, Europe and the Asia/Pacific region.
All of this is only possible through the efforts of our partners numbering more than 100 brands and retailers selling in 70.000 stores worldwide.